By Fujitsu Press Release
Tokyo Â –Â Fujitsu Limited announced today that it has established a wholly owned optical module subsidiary, Fujitsu Optical Components Limited, comprising its optical module business, subsidiary Fujitsu Optical Components Manufacturing Limited, and part of Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
With the establishment of the new company, the sales, research and development, and manufacturing functions of Fujitsu's optical module business are integrated under a unified management structure. This will enhance management speed and flexibility and enable Fujitsu to better meet customers' needs.
Background of Fujitsu's Optical Module Business
Fujitsu Limited's optical component business has traditionally focused on the sales, development, and manufacturing of high-end products such as 10G MSA(1)Â and LN modulators(2), while Fujitsu Optical Components Manufacturing specialized in low-cost manufacturing of devices used in low-speed modules such as ROSA(3)Â and BIDI(4). Fujitsu Laboratories, on the other hand, focused on the research and development of cutting-edge optical module technologies.
To respond to the changing economic conditions and better meet customers' needs, on February 17, 2009, Fujitsu announced its plan to consolidate its optical module business into a new wholly owned subsidiary. The new company consists of the optical components business of Fujitsu Limited, Fujitsu Optical Components Manufacturing, and the divisions of Fujitsu Laboratories responsible for optical module-related research.
Purpose of Establishing the New Company
Aiming to strengthen Fujitsu's optical module business, Fujitsu Optical Components was established today to integrate the sales, research and development, and manufacturing of optical module products under a unified management structure.
- By becoming independent, Fujitsu Optical Components aims to increase the speed and flexibility of its management and develop closer ties with customers.
- With regard to manufacturing, the goal is to integrate all optical module manufacturing functions under a unified management structure to achieve higher efficiency and flexibility.
- With regard to development, the consolidation of the optical module business of Fujitsu Limited and Fujitsu Laboratories will speed up product development to better meet market needs.
- With regard to sales, the global sales structure and marketing function will be strengthened to enhance customer support and better react to market needs.
Outline of Fujitsu Optical Components
|Corporate name||Fujitsu Optical Components Limited (FOC)|
|Business description||Development, manufacturing, and sales of optical components products|
|Registered address||4-1-1 Kamikodanaka, Nakahara-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa, 211-8588, JapanÂ (inside the Kawasaki Research & Manufacturing Facilities of Fujitsu Limited)|
|Representative||Nobuhide Yamaguchi, president & CEO|
|Shareholder||Fujitsu Limited (100%)|
|No. of employees (as of April 1, 2009)||Approximately 550|
|Date of establishment||April 1, 2009|
|Fiscal year||April 1 to March 31|
- 1Â MSA:
- Multi-Source Agreement. An agreement on common specifications that enable other vendors to provide multiple sources for customers by defining the use of electrical interfaces and data signal processing systems.
- 2Â LN modulator:
- LiNbO3. A device that converts an electrical data signal into an optical data stream via the electro-optic effect of a LiNbO3 crystal.
- 3Â ROSA:
- Receiver Optical Sub-Assembly. An optical transceiver device.
- 4Â BIDI:
- Bi Directional Device.